Sunday, April 7, 2013

Mountainsmith Lumbar-Recycled Series Tour TLS R Backpack

The Mountainsmith Lumbar-Recycled Series Tour TLS R Backpack, in Pinon Green, is an excellent lumbar pack when hiking and you do not require a ton of gear. I tend to like to use a backpack when hiking and have done so for years. Recently, I wanted to re-evaluate what I carry on hikes and not carry as much gear. After doing a lot of research I chose the Mountainsmith Tour which holds 488 cubic inches of gear. This is big enough to carry all the essentials that I need to include some emergency items should the need arise. I was originally looking at the Maxpedition Sabercat Versipack, Khaki but it does not have water bottle pockets to hold water which I need since I am in a desert environment. I know I can add MOLLE attachments to the Sabercat to carry water but then weight distribution tends to get unbalanced and uncomfortable. So I ended up with the Mountainsmith Tour. It should be noted that Mountainsmith did some upgrades and modifications to the 2012 Tour which is slightly different from prior models.


Mountainsmith Tour

Modifications include:

+ Waistbelt mesh pockets that can hold small items
+ Wider shoulder strap pad
+ Flat profile side bottle pockets
+ Internal iPad sleeve that cannot be removed
+ A Lumbar Control Point pad for increased ergonomic fit

I really like the waistbelt mesh pockets which make good use of space that would otherwise go unused. I do not use the shoulder strap and instead purchased the Mountainsmith Strapettes which is a must have in my opinion. The Strapettes take the weight off your lower back and provide a much more comfortable harness carrying system by transferring the weight to your shoulders and hips; not your back. If you are very tall the Strapettes will cause the Tour to ride a little higher than it should on your back. If you decide to use the shoulder strap you can tuck the waist belt in the back panel to get it out of your way.

The Mountainsmith Tour has heavy duty YKK zippers which are very strong and durable. On each zipper is a bright yellow pull tab. I did not like the bright yellow color so I cut off the pull tabs and replaced them with pull tabs that I made from OD green paracord using a cobra stitch. I really like my modification as it tones down the yellow while the green paracord pull tabs match the pinon green color of the Tour much better. I do not need a pull tab to be high visibility yellow.

Inside the main compartment is a very bright yellow lining. Included in the main compartment is a hanging pocket that has a zipper in case you need to secure items such as money that you do not want to lose. The main compartment is pretty spacious and has enough room to hold a lot of gear. The internal iPad sleeve does not take up a lot of room and does not impede your ability to carry gear if you decide not to use the sleeve for an iPad.

The Delta Compression System load adjustment with two compression straps is a functional and ergonomic feature to keep the pack close to your body. This is an especially important feature if you do not use the Mountainsmith Strapettes to help support a heavy load. The compression straps prevent the load from sagging or pulling away from your body which can cause fatigue or injury to your lower back. I do experience some difficulty tightening the straps with 32 ounce Nalgene water bottles in the side pockets. I tighten the compression straps first and then add the water bottles to the pack.

On the bottom of the Tour are two ¾ inch compression straps in which I have strapped an MPI All Weather Emergency Survival Blanket that has 6 Kelty Nobendium II Tent Stakes and 4 Heavy Duty Bungee Cords Desert Tan 4 Pack rolled into the blanket should I need an emergency shelter. I also carry some cordage in the main compartment of the pack. This is a very small, compact, and efficient shelter system that fits perfectly on the bottom of the Tour.

Overall I am very happy with the Mountainsmith Tour for short to medium length day hikes. It is durable, spacious, comfortable, and has the ability to carry two 32 ounce water bottles. Additionally, you can purchase the Mountainsmith Strapettes which I recommend. The Tour also comes in a variety of colors. You can also purchase a Mountainsmith Tour Rain Pack Cover but it is only available in the color yellow.


I have used the Mountainsmith Tour on a few 10+ mile hikes and I love this pack utilizing the Mountainsmith Strapetts. This set up is comfortable and very functional. Also, the belt rides above your hip line so you can wear a firearm, fixed blade knife, or multitool on your belt with no problem. I am more than happy with this set-up. I have no regrets with this purchase and I am very satisfied.

The Mountainsmith Tour is a product that I highly recommend to others.

This can be purchased at:  http://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-Lumbar-Recycled-Series-Tour-Backpack/dp/B005LUTS8E/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

//TC



© Copyright
 

No comments:

Post a Comment