Monday, April 8, 2013

Emergency Tinder by Coghlans

In general, I am not the biggest Coglans fan. I find most of their products to be sub par and tend to stay clear of purchasing their products. But, Emergency Tinder by Coghlans is an effective way to initiate fire. The tinder is waterproof and will light when wet. It is non-toxic, odorless, and did not put off a lot of smoke. The product is advertised to burn between 5-7 minutes and for me they burned between 4½-6 minutes. I did a test burn between this product and cotton balls impregnated with Vaseline and both lasted about the same time and I would rate them equally effective. I repeated this test five times with positive results. The Emergency Tinder that I was using was about three years old but still was very effective.

To light Coghlans Emergency Tinder you need to press the cube firmly to flatten it which provides surface area and then you need to expose the fibers. If you fail to expose the fibers you will have difficulty lighting the tinder. I used a Swedish Firesteel and the tinder caught fire the first time on each test that I conducted. My one piece of criticism is that the cube is very compact and difficult to flatten especially if you are in an environment where your hands are very cold or you have an injury to your hand. If this is the case you can use a rock or other item to assist you in preparing the tinder. Due to this aspect I am rating this product 4 stars instead of 5.

Overall, Emergency Tinder by Coghlans is very effective and I recommend it as part of your fire starting kit.
 



© Copyright

No comments:

Post a Comment