Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Versatile EagleTac G25C2



I spent hours and hours researching flashlights. I needed one that would work in a wide variety of situations and I demanded outstanding performance. I read a lot of reviews, crunched a lot of numbers, and in the end I decided on the EagleTac G25C2 to replace one of my older model lights. My primary use for this light is for my employment, backpacking and just an overall handy light that is useful in a wide variety of situations. Here are some of the features that influenced my decision.

Power Levels- (770 Lumens/1 hr)- This light really has a great throw to it at this level. 200 yards easily. It's literally like a spotlight that can fit in your pocket. (320 Lumens/3.5hrs)- Works very nice 75-100 yards out, and very blinding in self defense roles at shorter distances. (59 Lumens/20 hrs)- Remember the Surefire Lights that were 60 lumens and lasted an hour? That's what this level gets you. A very nice bright light at 25-30 yards with 20 times longer run time!! (2 Lumens/200 hrs)- The most common level I use it at. Seems much brighter than 2 Lumens. It almost seems to be a mistake. It's a comfortable level out to 10 yards or so. Great for around camp, or when you need something along the lines of a general flashlight. It can easily light your path while walking at night, and the 200 hour run time is great.

Ease of Use- The user interface of the G25C2 is very simple. The tail cap is used to turn the light on and off. And the bezel rotates to vary the level of brightness. As you tighten the bezel it will get increasingly brighter. Loosening is the reverse and goes to the lower levels. It can also be done one handed with ease by holding the bezel between palm and little finger, and rotating the body with thumb and index finger.

Programming- This is not something that is easily done on the fly. But if you set it up right, you can just fix it and forget it. Basically, you have two options. You can keep it as I previously described with power levels of (770,320,59,2) as you rotate the bezel. Or you can have (770, 90, strobe1, strobe2). I chose the former since you can still have access to the strobe function by just double clicking the tail cap. For example, you can have the light on at 2 lumens, double click the tail cap, and it instantly blasts a 770 lumen strobe. You may also disable the double click strobe function if you prefer. The G25C2 also has a memory. This means the lighting level can be preset before you turn it on. This was one of the deciding factors for me in choosing this light. I was strongly considering the Klarus XT11 but did not like the fact that if I was using it in a lower power, it would automatically turn back on at the highest level if I turned the light off. This would mean I would have to cycle through all the modes to get back to the lower setting. I am glad I don't have this issue with the G25C2.

Carry Options- The EagleTac G25C2 comes with a very durable nylon holster. I carry it on my duty belt for work, and it has held up very well. It also has a removable pocket clip that I find handy while camping. The bezel is slightly larger than other lights in this category, and might be a little more difficult to carry in a jeans pocket. It carries easily in cargo shorts or BDU type pants however. The light also comes with a lanyard. It also has a rubber insert that you can install over the tail cap that enables it to stand on end should you wish.

Expandability- Unlike most other lights, the G25C2 is easily expandable. EagleTac sells separately a 3 cell, and 4 cell extender. They do not increase the output power of the light, but do increase the listed run times. The 3 cell extender increases run time 50% while the 4 cell extender doubles it. These might be nice if you chose later to mount this light to a weapon or other times where pocket carry is not paramount.

Accessories- EagleTac also has a very nice filter accessory for the G25C2. A diffuser filter can be solidly attached if a flood area light was desired more than distance. They also offer other colors such as Red, Yellow, Blue, and Green. The filter attachment does not rule out using the holster it comes with. This is a great option to be able to instantly switch between a flood, or spot light.

Misc. Specs- Weight 4.8 oz. Length 5.9 in. Waterproof to IPX8 Standard.

It should be noted that EagleTac has recently upgraded this model to a MKII model that cranks out an amazing 1180 Lumens and is worth looking into. It simply wasn't available when I purchased mine. I'd be just as confident in the newer model however. Quality illumination tools are constantly improving and sooner or later you just have to jump in.

In the end, after working with this light for around a year now in a wide variety of carry conditions I'd have to say it's one of my favorites. It can work well for anyone in law enforcement, search and rescue, EDC, or anyone requiring a quality, versatile lighting tool.
// EE

No comments:

Post a Comment